Tips for Tuesday
The holidays are fast approaching. Along with them, are the stresses for preparations. Part of the holiday tradition is entertaining family and friends, whether it's a cozy cookie exchange with the ladies or a formal dinner with the boss.
While these are fun times, there are some hazards associated with entertaining. Take cautions so you aren't a victim.
Fireplaces and Wood Stoves
• Have your chimney, flues or stove professionally inspected and cleaned.
• Keep flammable materials such as paper/wrappings, live evergreens and other decorations away from the fireplace or stove.
• Burn only clean, dry firewood.
• Check the damper to make sure it is open before starting a fire.
• Have a sturdy fireplace screen or other barrier around the fireplace/stove while it is burning to keep children and pets away.
• Ashes can stay hot for up to 48 hours. Take caution when cleaning out your fireplace/stove, and always use a metal container to dispose of ashes.
• Leave glass doors open when burning a fire to prevent creosote build-up in the chimney.
• Close glass doors when the fire is out so chimney air doesn’t' escape into room.
• Keep air inlets on wood stoves open to prevent creosote buildup inside the stove's chimney.