Tips for Tuesday
The holidays are fast approaching. Along with them, are the stresses for preparations. Part of the holiday tradition is entertaining family and friends, whether it's a cozy cookie exchange with the ladies or a formal dinner with the boss.
While these are fun times, there are some hazards associated with entertaining. Take cautions so you aren't a victim.
• Keep decorations at least six inches above a child or pet's reach. They may cause a hazard if broken or be poisonous if ingested.
• Avoid using tinsel. Loose pieces that fall on the floor are tempting choking hazards.
• Ribbons on gifts should be no longer than 7 inches so a child doesn't wrap it around his neck and pets don't get tangled up in it.
• Avoid using small package decorations or ornaments on young children's packages, as they may present a choking hazard. Also check gifts from others for small pieces and other age-appropriate items.
• Store scissors from wrapping away from little hands.
• Watch children and pets around fireplaces or stoves.
• Some holiday plants are poisonous to pets. Check the ASPCA web site (http://www.aspca.org) for a list of plants and foods harmful to pets.