An important aspect of being successful in business is networking. As an author, you are in business for yourself. You are constantly selling ideas to publishers, or books to readers. Therefore, you must network in order to braoden your exposure.
Here are some tips for effective networking:
• Always carry your business cards with you.
• Never waste an opportunity to network, whether it's at the grocery store or at a dinner party.
• Keep talking to people you meet until you find something you have in common. This will break the ice.
• Keep your ears open for possible writing, speaking or workshop opportunities.
• Never gossip about anyone in the industry. Someone they know may be within earshot.