Moving on Monday
Before you purchase a new home, you have an inspector look at it for any major problems. The results may be a deal breaker if the issues are serious enough. If you have your home for sale, put yourself in the buyer's shoes. What would they find on a home inspection of your property?
Avoid any surprises by having your own home inspection. These past weeks, we've had a checklist of things to look for outside your home. These next few weeks we'll look at the inside. Here's what to look for when inspecting your attic.
• Is the insulation good enough for weather conditions? The more extreme the temperatures, the more insulation you should have.
• Are there signs of rodent infestation? Find their nests and their point of entry.
• Is there proper ventilation? The presence of moisture indicates a problem.
• Are there signs of water leakage on the boards or trusses?
• Is the electrical wiring safe?
• Is the electrical wiring away from insulation and other hazards?
• Do any of the boards have cracks, or do they sag?
• Are access stairs in good condition?