We all like to save money. Whether it's finding something on sale or clearance, using coupons or being smart about appliance use, the less we spend, the more we can save for emergencies, college tuition or retirement.
These next weeks on Frugal Friday, we will be addressing ways to save money on energy costs--electric, heating, water, etc. First up--saving while using electronics around the house.
• Unplug all appliances and electronics when not in use (especially when away on vacation.) They consume 40% of their energy when not in use, but plugged in.
• Keep your electronics and appliances clean and well-maintained. They will work at their highest efficiency if you take care of them and have them serviced regularly.
• Put your appliances and electronics on a timer so they shut down when not in use.
• Limit the time your family uses electronics--television, computer, video games, etc. Get them back to the basics of reading and puzzles.
• Keep your phones, etc., plugged in for only as long as it takes them to charge. Unplug the charger from the wall as soon as the item is done charging.