We all like to save money. Whether it's finding something on sale or clearance, using coupons or being smart about appliance use, the less we spend, the more we can save for emergencies, college tuition or retirement.
These next weeks on Frugal Friday, we will be addressing ways to save money on energy costs--electric, heating, water, etc. Last week, we talked about saving money while using electronics around the house. This week, we are offering tips on how to save money on water usage. This will not only be kind on your budget, it will help the envirnoment by conserving water.
• Place a brick or a 2-liter bottle filled with water in your toilet tank. Your toilet will use half the water.
• If you are replacing a toilet, invest in a dual-flush or low-flow version.
• Install low flow shower heads in your bathrooms.
• Fix leaky faucets.
• Put a drop of food coloring in your toilet tank. Let it sit for a while without flushing. If the water in the bowl takes on a tint, then the tank is leaking.
• Wash only full loads of laundry or dishes.
• Turn off the water when brushing your teeth.
• Take a short shower instead of a bath.
• Install aerators in your faucets. This reduces the flow rate and water consumption.