The most important thing to remember when setting up a file system is being able to find what you filed. There are several guidelines to keep in mind to make your filing system work for you.
• Group your files by Major Subject headings. This might be "Professional Organizations," "Research" or "Editors and Agents."
• Divide each major subject into Primary Headings. For example, under "Professional Organizations," you will have a heading for "RWA Chapters."
• Divide your Primary Headings into Secondary Headings. For your "RWA Chapters," you would create a folder for each chapter in which you are a member.
• To easily identify your folders at a glance, color code your Major Subjects.
• Set your files up alphabetically within each Major Subject.