With the rising prices of groceries, it's more important than ever to not waste any food that we buy. In addition to making smart purchases, try to find uses for old food that isn't spoiled. One of these staples is bread. If it doesn't mold, it dries out. We all know about making bread crumbs in the blender, but what other uses are there for stale bread?
• If it's not too stale, place it in a 300 degree oven for ten minutes to freshen it.
• Day-old bread makes better toast than fresh bread because there is less moisture in it.
• Cut the bread into small circles and freeze. When you need an appetizer, toast the rounds and use them as you would crackers.
• Make croutons for your salad. Cube them, sprinkle with olive oil, season to taste, then bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. These are best used the same day.
• Make bread pudding.
Here are some uses for bread crumbs:
• Sprinkle over baked macaroni and cheese.
• Mix with ground beef for meatloaf or meatballs.
• Add seasonings for breading meat or eggplant.
• Make a crust for your quiche.
What do you do with your stale bread?