Moving on Mondays
Garage Sales can be a great way to earn some extra cash. But they can be a lot of work for the little bit of money you make. Here are some tips for making more money at your sale.
• Have some larger pieces as a draw.
• Have yours on the same day as a neighbor's, or hold a neighborhood sale.
• Advertise with signs (but check village ordinances for placement).
• Advertise on the internet.
• Don't have a sale on a holiday weekend when many people are out of town.
• Thursdays are the best days for drawing traffic.
• Don't close before your advertised times.
• There are always early birds. Be ready a half hour before the advertised time.
• Children's clothing and toys sell well.
• Price items low so they move.
• Price items clearly--either as a table price, or individually with stickers.
• Categorize your items into piles--kitchen, bath, toys, clothes, etc.
• Have someone help you. You don't want to lose a sale because you're busy with someone else.
• Sell drinks and snacks.
• Have some 'freebies' to give away with a sale. For example, those piles of little plastic toys can be a freebie with the purchase of a puzzle or game. Or 'Buy four books, get one free.'