Tips for Tuesday
Now that summer is in full swing, you’re probably ready to hit the road, whether it’s a family reunion weekend, a trip to the beach, or a road trip in the van with the kids. Here are some checklists to help make your vacation a relaxing and memorable time. By planning ahead, you will avoid the stresses associated with missing or forgotten items.
Before you set out on the road, you should take care of things around the house.
· Notify the post office that you will be out of town—complete a Hold Mail form (this can be done online at http://www.usps.com/).
· Notify the newspapers to hold delivery.
· Arrange for someone to watch your house, pets and plants.
· Notify your local police department that you will be out of town—many towns offer a vacation watch service.
· Put your house in order, change the bed linens and do the laundry—you’ll appreciate returning to a clean house and clean clothes.
· Buy snacks and drinks for the road.
· Give your itinerary to at least one family member and friend/neighbor.
· Ask a neighbor to check on your house if the power goes out.
· Place some lights on timers.
· Unplug small appliances.
· Set air conditioner to higher temperature, or turn off.
· Make sure the freezer door is closed!