Tips for Tuesday
These last few weeks, we've been looking at ways to make the most of the space you have. Not everyone has a house with large rooms and large closets, with lots of storage. If you have a large family, but are small on space, there are many things you can do to make the most of what you have.
This week, we're looking at your living room.
• Clear the clutter every night before going to bed. When you start a pile, you keep adding to it, until you have several piles. But if you clear the small piles every night, you won't accumulate large ones.
• Purchase furniture with storage--an ottoman that opens, tables with drawers, a shelving unit with doors, etc.
• Purchase multi-purpose furniture like chairs or sofas that open into beds, or a file cabinet that can serve as an end table.
• Corral the controls--designate a basket or tray for holding the remote controls. Teach the family to put them back when they are done.
• Use wall space for storage. Shelving can hold books, DVDs, CDs, etc. Tall narrow units take up little floor space, but give you a lot of storage.
• Use the space under furniture to store blankets, magazines, table leafs, etc.