Clothing can be very expensive, especially if you want it to last for a while. With the cost of utilities and gas rising, the money you have to spend on clothing is decreasing. But with wise decisions, you can have a nice wardrobe that will last for years to come.
• Don't buy into fads and fashion. Keep to the classics that never go out of style, such as that little black dress or black heels.
• Keep your wardrobe to two or three basic colors. Use cool or warm colors that coordinate based on your skin tone. Add in the neutrals--black, beige and white to round out the selection.
• Use accessories to change your look, rather than more expensive shirts or pants. A colorful scarf, earrings or belt can create a whole new look.
• Buy good quality items/fabrics that will last many years.
• Use light layers under expensive sweaters or jackets to absorb odors and oils. You won't have to clean your clothes as often.
• Launder your items inside-out to preserve color.
• Store your off-season clothes in temperature-controlled areas. Do not store them in humid or damp areas, especially if they are in plastic bins, which retain moisture.