Tips for Tuesday
It is important for your child to be healthy and stay healthy for best results throughout the school year. You can help by doing the following:
• Make sure your child gets enough sleep.
• Give your child a breakfast of protein, dairy, fruit and fiber before school.
• Provide a healthy lunch consisting of protein, dairy a fruit or vegetable and bread or fiber.
• Provide a healthy snack after school of fruit or vegetables and protein.
• Stock your pantry with healthy snack alternatives. Desserts should be a treat, not a day-long binge.
• Water, milk and fruit juice are the best beverages.
• Enroll your child in a physical activity, such as a sport or gymnastics/ballet class (Do not over-do extra-curricular activities—keep them to a minimum so your child does not tire out too quickly.)
• Stay on top of your child’s moods and investigate any changes, whether gradual or sudden.
• Take your child in for an annual physical, whether or not the school requires it.
• Read all instructions on packaging before dispensing meds, whether over-the-counter or prescription.
• Praise your children when they do well. Support them when they falter.