After the snow melts away and the flowers start coming up, we see all the damage from winter, and the dead foliage in our gardens. It is important to clean up for spring, but it is important to stay safe while doing so. The dangers for the elderly are higher, as they are more prone to falls and other injuries. Here are some ways to stay healthy and safe while cleaning up around your house and yard.
- Lift properly. Place feet apart, bend knees and lift with your leg muscles.
- Use sturdy ladders or stools for climbing instead of chairs.
- Have someone spot you when you are on a ladder.
- Avoid repetitive motions for long periods of time (like pulling weeds.) Vary your tasks to give your muscles a rest.
- Keep yourself hydrated and rested. Don't overdo it.
- Wear protective clothing when gardening or working with power tools.
- Have your cell phone with you at all times in case you are injured and can't get back into the house.