Since May is the month for mothers, we are devoting our blog entries to moms. We will give tips for moms at all stages of life--new moms, moms of toddlers, step-moms and grandmothers. Every child every day brings new experiences and new challenges. If prepared, these changes will be easier to handle.
This is perhaps the most difficult of all stages, since these moms are brand new at this. They are facing the unexpected. They are being trusted with a new life, yet have no idea exactly what lies ahead.
Here are some tips for new moms:
• Other moms are great resources for you. Ask away!
• But... don't listen to everything everybody tells you. You can get conflicting or incorrect information. You are different, your circumstances are unique. Take what is useful and discard the rest.
• Your physician is your ultimate resource. They know more about you and your pregnancy than any of your friends.
• Read up and attend classes.
• Find a support group if you have any special needs such as multiple births or illness.
• Whatever your due date is, have the nursery done at least a month before that. You never know if that little one will come early.
• Don't buy every new gadget that's out there before the baby comes. Start with the basics and add as needed.
• Do not buy used equipment without checking for recalls. Is saving a few dollars worth your child's life?
• Cook several meals ahead of time and place them in your freezer. You won't have the time or energy to cook when you get home from the hospital.
• Discourage visitors your first few days home. You will need the time to bond with your child and get some well-needed rest.
• Start childproofing early. Babies surprise you with their progress!
There are too many topics to cover in one short blog entry. Check out the Gerber site for more information and advice from the pros.